Sky Above Clouds: Finding Our Way through Creativity, Aging and Illness
- Thursday, September 15, 12:30-1:30
Smith Center for Healing and the Arts is honored to have special guest, Author Wendy L. Miller, attend the September meeting of Beyond Books book club, to discuss her book, Sky Above Clouds: Finding Our Way through Creativity, Aging and Illness.
Beyond Books is a monthly study group where participants will select the overall themes and books, whether it's a book on living with cancer, a poet's exploration of life, a
guide to integrating the arts and healing, or a novel with themes of strength and survival. We will share opinions, experiences, and hope in a supportive, facilitated environment that encourages input from all. A single book may be explored over several sessions, as we work to apply its wisdom to our own lives. Feel free to bring your lunch to enjoy during our lively conversations.
We will meet on Thursday, September 15th to discuss Sky Above Clouds: Finding Our Way through Creativity, Aging and Illness with author Wendy Miller.
Past Beyond Books selections have included:
- My Grandfather's Blessings by Rachel Naomi Remen
- How to be Sick by Toni Bernhard
- The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron
- Healing Grief: A Story of Survivorship by Joan Heller Miller
- Writing as a Way of Healing: How Telling Our Stories Transforms Our Lives by Louise DeSalvo
- The Anatomy of Hope by Jerome Groopman
- The Four-Fold Way: Walking the Paths of the Warrior, Teacher, Healer, and Visionary by Angeles Arrien
- 10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help That Actually Works--A True Story by Dan Harris
- Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl
- The Body Keeps Score: Brain, Mind, & Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel A. van der Kolk.
Our programs are open to the community, and tailored to meet the needs of people affected by cancer. Classes and workshops are free or low cost on a pay-as-you-can basis, ensuring that our programs are accessible to everyone.
Please RSVP to help us plan.
About Wendy L. Miller
Wendy L. Miller is the Co-Founder of the Create Therapy Institute, an Integrative Arts Medicine Studio, and the Executive Director of Projects on Intergenerational Communication at the Washington, DC Center on Aging.