Meet Up and Support Group
- Sunday, October 18, 5-6:30pm
Facilitated by Joanne Assarsson, LICSW, OSW-C & Cheryl Hughes, LICSW, OSW-C
Join us at this month’s meeting of the DC Young Adult Cancer Community on October 18th! Enjoy a light dinner, a facilitated group support session, and a chance to meet other young adult cancer survivors.
This group is designed for participants from ages 19-39 at any point in the cancer journey. Significant others are welcome! Please RSVP below to help us plan.
The DC Young Adult Cancer Suport Community is an initiative of:
- Cancer Support Community
- George Washington University Hospital/Medical Faculty Associates
- First Descents
- Hope Connections for Cancer Support
- Howard University Hospital
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Life with Cancer
- Medstar Georgetown University Hospital
- Nueva Vida
- Sisters Nework
- Smith Center for Healing and the Arts
- Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults
- Virginia Hospital Center
- Washington Cancer Institute at Medstar Washington Hospital Center
- Young Survival Coalition (DC Chapter)
Smith Center is located at 1632 U Street, in Northwest DC. Both the Dupont Circle (red) and U Street (green) metro stops are an easy walk (about 1/2 mile) and street parking is also available on Saturdays.
About Joanne Assarsson
Joanne Assarsson has extensive experience working with individuals, families, and groups whose lives are impacted by a cancer diagnosis. She graduated with a Masters degree from The Catholic University of America and is a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker. Joanne also maintains certification as an Oncology Social Worker and is a member of the Association of Oncology Social Workers. Joanne works with people throughout the continuum of care from diagnosis, treatment, survivorship, advanced illness, and end of life care. In partnership with patients and families, her practice is focused on thoughtfully assessing and maximizing quality of life.