From Diet Prescription to Nourishing Meals: Culinary Translation in Cancer Care
- Saturday, March 12 9:00-5:30pm - Sunday, March 13, 9:00-5pm
This two day workshop is designed to train Registered Dietitians and Culinary Professionals in the basic art and science of Oncology Culinary Translation. Participants will learn food preparation techniques for creating therapeutic meals that appeal to an individual’s taste preferences. Through creative classroom, hands-on, and eating experiences, the group will learn to:
- Define culinary translation and its role in integrative nourishment for cancer care.
- Describe metabolic conditions that influence cancer risk, such as inflammation and insulin resistance.
- Describe the current evidence for commonly recommended anti-cancer diets.
- Identify key concepts for including food as an element in the treatment plan for a person with cancer.
- Describe eight principles of health supportive food selection.
- Define flavor-building and describe the potential for this technique to provide culinary and physiological benefits.
- Develop eating plans to improve quality of nutritional intake by patients facing eating and dietary challenges.
The workshop will take place Saturday, March 12 & Sunday, March 13, 2016 from 9:00am-5:00 pm at Smith Center for Healing and the Arts located on 1632 U St. NW Washington, D.C.
Karen Collins, MS, RDN, CDN, FAND, Nutrition Advisor to the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR)
Ruth Fehr, MBA, Certified Holistic Health Practitioner, Chef, Founder/Owner Culinary Solutions
Laura Pole, RN, MSN, OCNS, Chef, Director of Nourishment Programs for Smith Center for Healing and the Arts
Credit approval for this activity is being sought from the Commission on Dietetic Registration
The registration fee is $485 and includes all materials, CE credits, breakfast, mid-morning snacks, and a late lunch on Saturday and Sunday, and should be paid by the registration deadline.
The deadline is Wednesday, February 19th, 2016. Registered students will receive a full refund for the training, minus a $75 processing fee, if they notify Smith Center two weeks prior to the training. No refunds will be made after that time (February 27th, 2016).
For more information call 202.483.8600 or contact Kiersten Gallagher at email@example.com.