With Laura Pole, Oncology Nurse, Health Supportive Chef
- Saturday, June 2, 10am-12:30pm
We apologize for the inconvenience, but this program has been postponed until October 6. Registration opens soon! To be added to the list, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you want to eat more healthfully, but aren’t sure where to start?
Or, do you know what you should be eating, but need motivation, recipes, and a plan?
This fun and informative 2 ½ hour class, open to anyone interested in eating better, will teach the basic principles of healthy and delicious food selection.
Participants will be offered tasty appetizers followed by a lecture on the basic principles of selecting healthy food and a demonstration on how to build flavor in a dish. Finally, participants will see and taste a “balanced plate” of colorful, beautiful, nourishing, and delicious foods.
From this class, you will –
- Learn about the Eight Principles of Healthy Eating: whole, fresh, natural, local, balanced, in season, delicious, and in harmony with tradition
- Learn how to create your own balanced plate at home
- Learn to build flavor to turn a healthy dish into a delicious dish
- Understand what makes up a complete protein
- Learn how to choose foods at the grocery store and farmers’ market
- Get recipes to make the dishes at home
- Learn tips to make preparing and eating your meals more enjoyable
Chef Laura Pole is one of the pioneers in delicious nourishment for the person with cancer and other serious illness. She serves as Smith Center’s Director of Nourishment Programs as well as Head Chef for the Smith Center’s week-long retreats for people with cancer. Laura is also an oncology nurse and a musician (making her a “Chefnurcian!”) She promises a class that is not only informative, but also entertaining and fun!
*Please Note: Every individual’s needs are unique. We aim to offer a variety of health-promoting options for each individual to consider, but do not prescribe the specific dietary content of any program for anyone.
Registration is required for this program. Space is limited to 15 participants to ensure the best possible program quality.