Science tells us that psychological stress can affect the immune system, the body’s defense against infection and disease, including cancer. Reducing stress benefits us physically, mentally, and emotionally.
The following are resources you can use at home to reduce your stress and improve your overall wellbeing. These may be useful in helping you practice relaxation and positive affirmation on your own.
Please also join us for guided yoga and stress reduction programs every week here at Smith Center!
- Guided Yoga with Shanti Norris (mp3)
- Progressive Relaxation Script by Shanti Norris (pdf)
- Health Journeys - Guided imagery recordings on cancer, chemotherapy, radiation, and general wellness.
- Sri Swami Satchidananda’s “Guided Relaxation and Affirmations for Inner Peace” CD
Available through Integral Yoga Distribution, 800-262-1008
Helps to remove tension from your body and mind and to deal with insomnia.
- Jon Kabat-Zinn’s CDs and books:
“Guided Mindfulness Meditation”
“Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Pain, Stress and Illness”
“Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life”
“Mindfulness for Beginners”
“Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Meditation”
“Mindfulness Meditation: Cultivating the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind”
Available on Amazon and www.mindfulnesstapes.com
- Ian Gawler’s “Guided Imagery Exercises: Imagery for Health & Wellbeing”
Lead you through two key techniques that “invigorate, revitalize, heal and help you reconnect with your essence."
- Martin Rossman’s books and CDs
“Fighting Cancer From Within: How to Use the Power of Your Mind for Healing”
“Self-Healing with Guided Imagery: How to Use the Power of Your Mind to Heal Your Body” with Andrew Weil
“Anxiety Relief: Guided Imagery Exercises to Soothe, Relax and Restore Balance”
“Guided Imagery for Self-Healing: An Essential Resource for Anyone Seeking Wellness”
- Herbert Benson’s “The Relaxation Response” and “Beyond the Relaxation Response” books