- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons diced onions
- 1 head of garlic, roasted
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (remove leaves from stem)
- 2 cups frozen lima beans (or can soak and cook
- 1 ½ cups dried lima beans)
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock (* additional stock as needed)
- 2 T. toasted pine nuts
- 1-3 tsp. lemon juice
- Salt, pepper to taste
Combine olive oil and onions in large skillet and sauté until tender but not browned. Add the beans, rosemary leaves and vegetable stock and simmer until beans are tender (*add more stock, if necessary so mixture does not get dry). Add 1 tsp. lemon juice, salt and freshly ground pepper.
Place mixture in food processor along with the paste from the roasted garlic and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. Cool and serve on focaccia, poppy seed or other freshly baked bread. Yield about 2 cups.
Adapted from Culinary Institute of America recipe by Laura Pole, 2010
Copyright © by Laura Pole. All right reserved.