- This event has passed.
August 2 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
This Meet Up & Support Group will be meeting online with a Zoom community. All participants must register through this page or email Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
with Erin Price, LICSW, Cheryl Hughes, LICSW, OSW-C, and Sara Field, LICSW
Online Meetup Group Participation Rules
In moving our regular in-person meetup to an online format, we want to make sure that we are still providing a safe place for people to gather and share with one another. The goal of this online meetup is to provide emotional and social support in a group setting.
If participating in this group, we ask that you take a minute to read the following group rules and that you respect and abide by them while you are logged into this online meetup.
These rules have been established to provide safety and trust so that each person can feel comfortable sharing their thoughts and feelings openly during the group. By logging into a Smith Center online meetup, you agree to abide by the following rules:
- Each participant is expected to keep confidential any information that is shared or discussed during this online meetup. This includes:
- not repeating or sharing anything that is disclosed in the group by others,
- participating in the meetup in a private space where group conversations cannot be overheard by those not participating,
- not taking photos, screenshots, or video/audio recordings of the group and not sharing any group content online.
- As with any in-person meetup, this online meetup is a safe place where participants can share personal experiences and feelings. These may be different from your own and we ask that you respect each other’s’ unique experiences. We encourage you to allow each person to speak openly without interruption as much as possible (and as technology allows). We ask that you share from your own personal experience and try to refrain from giving unsolicited advice to others in the group.
- Please respect the treatment choices of other individuals in the group and refrain from giving medical advice.
- You are encouraged to participate to the level that you are comfortable. You are not required to speak and may participate by listening in (though we do request that everyone participates in introductions). There may be periods of silence that occur and, while they may feel uncomfortable, silence may be beneficial to allow for group processing.
- Please be respectful of all group members and give your full attention to the person who is speaking – please avoid any side conversations as they are disruptive to the group.
- If any issues arise, please contact the group facilitator (email@example.com).
Note: Smith Center for Healing and the Arts online meetup groups are voluntary groups for social support. They are not professional therapy groups. Even though the goal is to support each person, online meetup groups may not meet each participant’s needs. Attendees can choose to participate or leave the group at any time. Smith Center is not responsible for and shall be held harmless for any actions by participants attending the session.
This monthly gathering is an opportunity to meet other young adult cancer survivors in their 20s, 30s and early 40s. This program is a collaborative initiative of local hospitals, health organizations and cancer support groups.*
Our monthly Young Adult Caregiver Support Group meets simultaneously. Please indicate when registering if a caregiver will be joining you.
*A warm thank you to our partners that have allowed us to provide a supportive community to more young adults in the DC region:
- Bella Warrior
- Cancer Support Community
- GWU Medical Faculty Associates
- First Descents
- Hope Connections for Cancer Support
- Howard University Hospital
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society
- Life With Cancer
- MedStar Georgetown University Hospital
- Nueva Vida
- Sibley Memorial Hospital
- Stupid Cancer
- Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults
- Virginia Hospital Center
- Washington Cancer Institute at MedStar Washington Hospital Center
- Young Survival Coalition
About Erin Price, MSW, LICSW
Erin serves as Smith Center’s Director of Young Adult and Psychosocial Support Programs. She is trained in Integrative Patient Navigation, a Project LEAD graduate, and holds a Masters in Social Work. A seven-year breast cancer survivor, Erin is passionate about providing support and community to other cancer survivors, especially young adults. She works with Smith Center’s DC Young Adult Cancer Community and is also actively involved in the cancer community through Young Survival Coalition, Critical Mass, the Georgetown Breast Cancer Advocates, National Breast Cancer Coalition, and the DC Cancer Action Partnership.
About Cheryl Hughes, LICSW, OSC-W
Sara is a Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker in DC. She earned her Masters Degree in Social Work at the Catholic University of America in DC and has worked in oncology for over 3 years. Sara interned at the Lombardi Cancer Center and the National Cancer Institute during graduate school, which confirmed her interest in oncology social work. She joined the Lombardi Cancer Center in 2016 and now works at the GW Cancer Center in DC. Sara has a strong interest in the intersection of emotional and physical health and a particular passion for supporting parents with cancer and their kids. She enjoys partnering with Camp Kesem’s GW chapter and served as their mental health professional for the past two years.