- This event has passed.
May 6 @ 10:30 am - 12:30 pm
This program is being offered virtually through Zoom. In order to participate and receive the Zoom link, you must register here or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
with Kiersten Gallagher and special guest Denise Feldman
Creative expression has often been used in the healing process and it is at the core of Smith Center’s philosophy, but fear of judgment and “not being an artist” can often prevent us from tapping into its healing power. Join us for Outside the Lines, where a facilitator will help you reclaim art-making as a healing tool through guided creative projects.
Join us to create a 3-dimensional altered book journal where your words of affirmation, cards, keepsakes, notes, and journaling will make this a personal favorite! This beautiful expression of your thoughts and memories easily sits on a shelf, table, desk or entryway.
- 1 hardcover book (older books are better, but this will work with a recently published book)
- box of paper clips (any size, or large handful of multiple size/types of paper clips)
- fabric scraps, yarn scraps, ribbon scraps – even embroidery floss will work!
- magazine pages, or scrapbook paper, wrapping paper scraps (to decorate inside of front and back cover)
- Elmer’s glue or Mod Podge (not glue stick)
- brown stamp in pad (or brown marker)
- 1 or 2 colors of acrylic craft paint – your choice of color
- paint brush
- a few old buttons and/or beads
During our Zoom call we’ll demonstrate the process step-by-step, so participants will be working during the call to create their own 3-D journals. See the photos below for a finished example.
This series is held twice each month on Wednesdays from 10:30am – 12:30pm.
- May 20 (online, social hour)
- June 10
- June 24
Our programs are open to the community, and tailored to meet the needs of people affected by cancer. Classes and workshops are free or low cost on a pay-as-you-can basis, ensuring that our programs are accessible to everyone.
Suggested donation: $10 per class
About Kiersten Gallagher
As the Cancer Support Program Director, Kiersten fully believes that through the arts we can expand our perspectives and explore new fulfilling ways of being. She invites you to make our space your own refuge, to circumvent your daily routine to spark creativity, to take time for introspection, and draw outside the lines.