- This event has passed.
January 23 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm
This program is being offered virtually through Zoom. In order to participate and receive the Zoom link, register by clicking the RSVP button above or by emailing email@example.com.
You will receive the Zoom information no later than the morning of your program.
Start out the new year on a healthy note! Join Chef Kara to learn tips that will make your weekly meal planning easier to incorporate delicious vegan dishes.
We will discuss how to ensure you are getting enough protein from plant-based meals. Furthermore, we will learn how to reduce our time in the kitchen with simple make-ahead and easy-to-reheat meals.
Chef Kara will provide tools to assist with the following:
- planning your weekly meals,
- writing your grocery lists,
- and prepping your meals in advance.
In addition, you will leave the class with new recipes and a grocery list for four meals that are customizable for diet restrictions, portion sizes, and flavor preferences.
- Vegetable Pot Pie
- Tuscan Kale Stew
- Mexi-Cali Quinoa Bowl
- Smoky Sweet Potato Cakes with Corn Salad
- Sweet Potatoes (4 large)
- Corn (3 ears fresh or 1 10-oz bag frozen)
- Carrots (3 large)
- Kale (2 bunches or 1 bag pre-chopped)
- Avocado (2)
- Yellow onion (1 large)
- Grape or cherry tomatoes (1 pint)
- Scallions (2 bunches)
- Red Bell Pepper (2 medium)
- Garlic (6 cloves)
- Parsley (1 bunch)
- Cilantro (1 bunch)
- Limes (2)
- Diced tomatoes (1 28-oz can, fire-roasted preferred)
- White Beans (1 cup dry, or 2 15-oz cans)
- Quinoa (white or red, 2 cups dry)
- Raw cashews (1/2 cup, can use pumpkin seeds if nut-free)
- Vegetable stock (4 cups)
- Frozen Puff Pastry (or 1 cup all purpose flour and 1/4 cup coconut oil for homemade pie crust)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- Italian Seasoning (or any combination of dried oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil)
- Smoked Paprika
- Large baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Large rimmed sauté pan with lid
- Small saucepan
- Dutch oven or large soup pot
- Baking dish or 4 ramekins for pot pie
- Blender or Vitamix
- Small skillet
- Cutting board & knife
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups & spoons
Suggested Donation: $15
About Kara Garrett
Kara is a health-supportive chef based in Washington, DC. Following her breast cancer diagnosis in 2013, she embraced the challenge of finding a balance between her foodie lifestyle and eating well with cancer. She has adopted a flexible diet plan that focuses on plant-based, sustainable whole foods, but does not restrict indulgences of things she loves. She is passionate about working with others to encourage healthier food choices that energize the body and the soul.
Kara graduated in August 2017 from the Chef Training Program at Natural Gourmet Institute in NYC and spent one month as the sous chef at The Ananda Ashram Yoga Society of New York in Monroe, NY. She is currently enrolled in the Developing Healthy Communities: Nutrition, Behavior, and Physical Activity graduate program at Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy.